Yesterday, I hit the odometer in my car to measure the exact distance to work. It’s 4.7 miles away. As I passed the first major intersection, I noticed gas was $4.03, which made me grind my teeth in aggravation. The question is this: should I start biking to work?
* I’ve scoped the path and there is a sidewalk the entire way.
* I’ll get more exercise (especially if I ride my bike to the gym after work. The cardio portion of the workout would be taken care of before I even get to the gym)
* More time to work on my tan
* More time to enjoy the outdoors before sitting in an office for several hours
* The wind acting as my personal air conditioner (something I don’t have in my car)
* No worries about gas
* being a sweaty mess when I arrive at the office
* crossing two major intersections
* people in cars and SUVs and trucks
* inhaling exhaust
Today, I’m driving, and I need to be on my way. But it looks like the pros outweigh the cons. Maybe I’ll do a test run this weekend to see how long it takes.